Monday, May 10, 2010

Hot Chocolate in Progress!

A special HELLO to everyone who is looking at this after taking a card at the MORNINGTON RACECOURSE CRAFT MARKET last sunday!

I started making teddies just a few months ago after talking to my late Pop on the phone who told me that they have been and still are the most popular toy since their invention. I was making puppets at the time but he gave me the idea and so I borrowed a few books on teddy making.

My next teddy bear project is made from the left over scraps of the lovely French-made fur called 'Hot Chocolate' that I used to re-upholster my papasan chair. It is sooooo soft. My bears have been getting better and better and I now draw up the pattern for them freehand and they turn out good. I string joint them for a classic looking bear. This one has been on the backburner for a couple of months but I must finish him soon.
Here is the process photos.
Line up all the pattern pieces in line with the direction of the fur!

This is what is left of the fur after the cutting out. Along with heaps and heaps of furry furry mess that gets up your nose.

The useful bits.

All the separate parts sewn and stuffed.

Bears head, trial ear placement.

Probably what he will look like when sewn all together.

You will just have to wait to see how the face turns out. That is always the hardest and last bit!